Job Location: Wings Over the Rockies Air & Space Museum, 7711 E. Academy Boulevard, Denver, Colorado, 80230-6929
FLSA Status: Part time, Seasonal
Job Summary: Summer camp coordinator oversees camp counselors and leads camps for groups of up to 20 -30 students in aviation and aerospace activities (with the assistance/presence of other counselors). Maintains positive work environment for camp counselors and positive relationships with camp attendees and their guardians. Is initial contact and liaison between parents/guardians and the museum. Prepares and cleans-up materials each day. Assists with materials ordering. Signs in campers when they arrive and releases them to verified adults at the end of the day. Reports to the Education Program Coordinator as needed.
Tasks, Duties, and Major Responsibilities
Summer Camp Coordinator Duties:
• Coordinate and oversee summer camp counselors, including schedules and duties
• Lead activity and camp materials preparation and clean-up
• Coordinate supply lists and materials needs and communicate materials needs to Education Program Coordinator
• Supervise sign-in and sign-out, greet and interface with parents/guardians
• Maintain accurate record of student attendees and all associated paperwork
• Lead camp activities
• Supervise children
• Communicate with parents/guardians as needed
• Make sure each child is accounted for at all times
• Maintain a safe environment for camp counselors and students
• Report all issues (no matter how small) to the Education Program Coordinator
• Supervise lunches and snacks
• Attend mandatory Staff Trainings
• Interact with campers and engage them in the activities
• Awareness of camper medical conditions, keeping them confidential, and reporting all medical concerns or issues to the Education Program Coordinator
• Inform camp counselors of any special needs or accommodations necessary for attendee participation
• Other tasks as they arise
Professional demeanor, including interactions with parent/guardians, counselors, and students, is expected at all times. Appropriate dress, including camp shirt, is required.
This job description is not all inclusive and may be added to verbally or in writing by the employee’s supervisor.
Relationships: Job holder reports to the Education Program Coordinator.
Job Skills Requirements
• Self-motivated, energetic, outcome-oriented individual who demonstrates strong interpersonal skills
• Ability to take initiative and work creatively
• Adaptability to a quickly-changing work environment
• Excellent organizational and planning skills
• Strong coordinator abilities, particularly in organizing and leading colleagues
• Communicates clearly, verbally and in writing
• Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
• Ability to deal professionally and sensitively with a diverse audience
• Ability to handle a number of projects and prioritize work
• Skills at working with students and parents alike
• Commitment to social inclusion
• Communicate clearly with the Education Program Coordinator and collaborate interdepartmentally
• CPR certified a plus (must produce current CPR card)
• Must be 21 years or older
• Attend CPR training arranged by the museum prior to the first day of camp if not already CPR certified
• Travel to our Exploration of Flight campus for specified weeks of camp is required
Working Conditions: Wings is an air and space museum and operates in a 70-year-old hangar. Environmental conditions may vary. Standard work days and hours will be Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM. Hours in addition to normal work hours may be requested, including during evenings and weekends. This position may require you to lift or pull upwards of 40 pounds.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the Job Title in the subject line of your email. Employment will be contingent upon the passing of a background check.