The Forney Museum, established in 1955, is a non-profit transportation museum in Denver’s RiNo district, featuring many forms of transportation. We are seeking an individual capable of fulfilling two vital roles within the Forney Museum. Applicant must be a positive, energetic, experienced, organized and responsible individual to be the next Volunteer Coordinator of the Museum. The ideal candidate is a strong leader, possesses multi-tasking capabilities, physical stamina, and experience in the non-profit sector and is able to work well with diverse populations while also cultivating and maintaining relationships within the organization and in the community. The Assistant Director and Volunteer Coordinator must be in agreement with and capable of furthering the Museum’s mission “to collect, preserve and exhibit items of archival, historical and technological interest relating to transportation for the purposes of education and personal enrichment.”
Volunteer Coordinator, including but are not limited to:
• Working closely with other Museum staff on various projects, both immediate and long-term.
• Running errands as required.
• Assist in setting up and removing vehicles & artifacts for exhibit.
• Organizing and participating in offsite events such as car shows, community events, etc.
• Assisting with customer services and gift shop sales as needed.
• In conjunction with IT/Creative staff, produce and disseminate quarterly Museum member e-newsletters and as needed, email blasts and invitations.
• Volunteer recruitment and retention.
• Volunteer training as required.
• Scheduling of volunteers for Museum events, both onsite & off-site.
• Coordinate, direct and manage volunteers and their projects.
• Directly assisting volunteers with projects.
• Ordering supplies and providing materials for volunteer led projects.
• Tracking volunteer hours.
• Scheduling and organizing volunteer appreciation functions 2x/year as well as acknowledging birthdays and passing.
• Maintaining volunteer data-base and required documents.
• Attending volunteer related trainings as deemed appropriate or necessary.
• Send out regular emails notifying volunteers of upcoming events and activities.
• Produce a monthly volunteer e-newsletter with interesting and relevant content including, but not limited to individual volunteer profiles, project updates, etc.
• Coordinate & schedule with local car clubs and organizations monthly exhibit “Dust n’ Shines”.
• Must be very detail oriented and possess strong organizational, communications, and multitasking skills.
• Ability to constructively and diplomatically interact with the general public.
• Gain a strong historical knowledge of the Forney Museum’s history and collection.
• Be willing and able to accurately and succinctly answer questions from Museum visitors.
• Able to verbally and physically enforce Museum rules and policies as required.
• Must be physically capable of being on your feet much, if not, some entire work days.
• Capable of lifting and carrying heavy items, up to or possibly exceeding 50 lbs.
• Able to climb ladders, be on high-lifts and work at heights.
• Willing to be on 24/7/365 call for fire/burglar alarm calls.
• Able to operate, on occasion, a fork-lift, scissor lift, hydraulic vehicle lift and other equipment as required.
• Must be able to operate a manual transmission vehicle.
• Be versed in Microsoft Office and Google Suite programs.
• Previous Museum experience and/or Volunteer Coordination.
Starting Salary: $16/hr
Job Type: Full-Time; 36-40 hrs/week Schedule: Monday-Friday 9:30-5:30 and available to work some after-hours and weekends as needed.
Only candidates deemed qualified will be contacted.
Email cover letter, resume and a minimum of 3 references to: director at forneymuseum.org.