Position Duties: The Summit Historical Society (SHS) is currently seeking a full-time, year round Executive Director to perform a variety of administrative and fundraising duties in support of SHS mission. Applicants should have experience and understanding of museum practices, non-profits, fundraising, and/or business administration.
Have proven ability to make community connections, be dependable and flexible, self-starter, and able to work independently as well as part of a team. Have strong attention to detail, proven administrative skills, and both verbal and written communication skills. Should be creative and ready to help plan, organize and present programs.
Other responsibilities include:
● Oversees staff and volunteers in day to day operations for historic sites and collections
● Handle loans, accessions, and deaccessions using PastPerfect
● Actively generates revenue through programs, special events, and growing membership
● Plans and coordinates special events and programs
● Implements community engagement activities
● Directs the Society staff in developing strategic plans for success
● Actively collects and tells Summit County, Colorado history
● Opens museum for tours and school groups
● Oversee and increase membership and donations
● Writes grants from local, state, and national sources
● Respond to emails, phone messages, and correspondence.
● Oversee payroll, document donations. Develop budgets
● Develop or update procedure guides
● Follows established museum practices in day to day handling of artifacts
● Other duties and activities as assigned
● Education: Associates Degree from an accredited college or university in Museum Studies, History, Business, Human Resources, or related field, with at least one year experience in related field.
● Proficient in Microsoft Office and QuickBooks
● Speak, write, and read English
● 1+ years’ experience supervising staff and/or volunteers
● 1+ years’ experience with public speaking and presentations
● Past experience working in the museum or fundraising field
● Grant writing
● Policy and Employee Handbook writing
● Working knowledge of PastPerfect
● Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, Forms, etc.
● Candidate must have a valid Colorado Driver’s License and must live in Summit County by first day of hire.
● Reference checks, background checks which may include: financial, criminal, sex-offender registry, and fingerprint checks through CBI/FBI.
● Local travel within the county with occasional out of county travel.
● Attend SHS board meetings.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. The noise level in the environment is moderate. The work environment is mainly indoors in the museums but may occasionally require outdoor work for presentations, programs or related work activities. Work hours will vary depending on the museum hours, special events and fundraising activities and will require some evening and weekend hours. Limited travel may be required. The incumbent may be exposed to dust, fumes, and chemicals from collections management and exhibit materials. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is required to walk, talk in-person and by telephone or hear. Physical demands are described as medium (exert up to 50 lbs. of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 lbs. of force frequently, and up to 10 lbs. of force constantly to move objects) and may include 1) lifting and carrying museum objects; 2) handling large, bulky, and awkward objects; 3) set up and deconstruction of exhibit pedestals and artifacts, chairs, tables, partitions, tents, booths for meetings, classes, community events and exhibits; and 4) shovel snow from walk and steps. The incumbent may occasionally climb ladders, ascend or descend stairs and reach at least 12 inches overhead. Data entry and other tasks may require sitting at a computer for several hours. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus in order to: 1) review plans, drawings, instructions, and detailed work; 2) supervise and participate in close-up work required for certain aspects of assembly and installation of exhibits and exhibit components; and 3) reading and deciphering hard-to-read print and handwriting on documents. This job description is subject to change at any time. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job Location: 403 LaBonte St., Dillon, CO 80435
Starting Salary: $18.75 – $22.12 hourly, paid bi-weekly, DOQ.
Full-time, Year Round, Tuesday – Saturday. Work days and hours will vary depending on the museum hours, special events and fundraising activities, and will require some evening and weekend hours. Limited travel may be required.
Benefits: Flexible schedule around work obligations, reimbursement for membership dues to community partners (Chamber, etc.), travel reimbursement, PTO.
Apply: Please submit cover letter, references, salary requirements, and resume to: email@example.com
• Principals only. Recruiters, please don’t contact this job poster.
• Do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers.
Open until filled.