Museum Art Program Instructor
Organization: Longmont Museum
Position: Museum Art Program Instructor Level 6
Pay Range: $22.68-$25.21 per hour
PROGRAM INSTRUCTOR 6 MUSEUM ART AND SIP, CAMP
Apply on the City of Longmont website : https://mss.longmontcolorado.gov/ess/employmentopportunities/default.aspx
Under the supervision of the Curator of Education, prepares and implements assigned visual art and craft programs, lesson plans, and activities of the Longmont Museum. This is a part time position. The work schedule will be determined on a seasonal basis. Expect to work 40 hours per week Monday through Friday from late May through July, and 16 – 20 hours per week Wednesday through Saturday from late August to early May. Hours are not to exceed a total of 1040 hours over a 52-week period.
Incumbent is accountable for all duties of this job and other projects and responsibilities may be added at the City’s discretion.
Performs essential duties and additional tasks in a manner that enhances City Attributes.
1. Coordinator and instructor for Art and Sip program on Thursdays from January – May 2024, and expanding to Thursdays and Saturday’s beginning in September 2024.
a. Plan fall classes (15 weeks) and winter/spring classes (15 weeks) beginner/intermediate visual art and craft class schedule for museum education department for teen and adult students
b. Teach no less than 60% of visual art classes
c. Provide instruction in a variety of visual art media and techniques
d. Ability to instruct beginner painting is essential
e. Prepare lesson plans and sample works before Museum Newsletter deadline
f. Prepare supply list and make purchases on budget
g. Ensure the safety of participants
2. Summer Camp Instructor
a. Plan, organize, and present summer camp programs for children ages 5-13 years old
b. Ensure the safety of the children during each program session
d. Supervise teen volunteers
f. Participate in teen volunteer orientation, recognition, and material preparation sessions
g. Help promote summer camps and camp scholarships
Participate in Museum staff meetings monthly and Education Department meetings every-other week.
Participate in additional Museum and City of Longmont events and programs as needed and as available.
Perform other duties as assigned and required.
Supervision Received: Supervision is provided by the Curator of Education
Supervision Exercised (direct reports and/or direct staffing decisions): Provides day to day supervision of volunteers who assist with programs.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Education and Experience:
1. Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Education, Recreation, Visual Art or a related field and two years’ experience in presenting educational programs and/or events, preferably in a museum setting.
2. This individual must understand current formal and informal educational practices, technologies, and learning theories.
3. A successful applicant will have experience working with children and adults, and volunteers of all ages. This experience must include working well with individuals, small groups, large groups, and communicating with parents/guardians with a collaborative, positive, and problem-solving attitude.
4. Work in a museum environment, summer camp, school setting or other youth program setting is preferred.
5. Knowledge of, and commitment to Inclusivity, Diversity, Equity, and Accessibility (IDEA) trends and best practices.
• Painting methods and mediums
• Variety of arts and crafts methods and mediums
• Learning styles of children ages 5-18
• Learning styles of adults
• Informal education practices
• Museum education practices and programming
• First-aid and CPR
• Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, Teams, OneDrive, SharePoint, Office 365)
• Work well with children, teens, and adults as individuals, in small, and large groups.
• Work well with museum staff, volunteers, and customers.
• To simplify and streamline art and craft projects for beginner students
• Organize workflow in advance of seasonal requirements
• Help program participants feel warm and welcome
• Communicate effectively in English with children, guardians and staff.
• Handle multiple concurrent tasks and interruptions.
• Show sound judgement, initiative and discretion in performing tasks with minimal