The Forney Museum of Transportation is seeking an enthusiastic and knowledgeable individual to serve as Collections Manager. This person will have the opportunity to maintain and grow the collections department at this unique, local institution. The Forney Museum of Transportation is a non-profit transportation history museum with over 600 artifacts dedicated to the sharing of history with the public. The mission of the Forney Museum is to collect, preserve, and exhibit items of archival, historical, and technological interest relating to transportation for the purposes of education and personal enrichment.
It is the collection manager’s responsibility to ensure the long term integrity and preservation of the physical collection, associated data, and the Museum’s archives. The collections manager will develop and implement policies and procedures that ensure proper documentation, preservation, and protection of the collection.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
● Collections Manager will act as Chairperson of the Museum’s Collections Committee. Meeting once a month and working closely with its members, collections manager will be point of contact for all donations and will act as liaison between donor and Museum.
● When working with potential donors, must be friendly, personable, and always professional.
● Develop and maintain collection database.
● Facilitate and process loans, exchanges, donations. Be in charge of accessioning, cataloging, and documenting new acquisitions. Maintain and organize records of collection activity.
● Support the Museum with new exhibit installations and deinstallations.
● Respond to inquiries, such as research requests, potential loans, etc.
● Professional and accurate research for artifact signage, educational programs, and reference material.
● Available to help as backup at the Museum’s front desk as need be. This includes: selling admission, answering the phone, aiding customers, giving tours, etc. Also be available to help with Museum events, after hours, as need be.
● Work with Museum volunteers on various projects as needed.
● Assist with grant writing and donor solicitation to help fund the collections department, as well as general museum operations (grant writing experience preferred).
● Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in history, museum studies, or equivalent. Masters preferred, or 4 years or equivalent experience.
● Experience with collections management database systems, PastPerfect required.
● Must be very detailed oriented with exceptional organizational skills.
● Strong verbal and written communication skills, a must.
● Team player, but also able to work individually and be self-motivated. Ability to prioritize projects is a must, as well as follow direction as required by the Museum’s Executive Director.
● Position requires the ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds. Work conditions range from office work with long periods of sitting, to being on your feet for up to 8 hours or longer, with walking on concrete floors. Ability to handle physical exertion when moving artifacts or changing exhibits or for events.
As a small non-profit organization with a small workforce, the Forney Museum requires team players who are dependable with the ability and willingness to be flexible with assigned work hours and fill in where needed. Candidates must be self motivated, want to create and foster a positive work environment, and be comfortable with a varied and sometimes diverse work environment. Maturity and professionalism are required. Must be available to work occasional Saturday and Sunday in addition to week-days, as well as occasional events, days and evenings on an on-call, as needed basis. Only those with a strong work ethic need apply.
Job Type: Part-time
To apply, send your cover letter, resume, and three professional references to Christof Kheim at email@example.com.