Denver Firefighters Museum
Organization: Denver Firefighters Museum
Position: Museum Assistant
Museum Services Administrator
Pay Range: $17.00/hr; commensurate with experience
Status: Part-time with flexible availability 8:30 am – 4:30 pm with weekend availability
Institution Summary: The Denver Firefighters Museum is a private, nonprofit organization that works to preserve the history of the Denver Fire Department and firefighting through the collection and preservation of artifacts, documents, and photographs. The purpose of the museum is to educate the public about fire safety and the history of firefighting in Denver from its inception to the present. This is accomplished through interpretive exhibits, educational programming, and scholarly research.
Position Summary: The Denver Firefighters Museum is looking for an enthusiastic and ambitious person with a general interest in museums to be our Museum Assistant. This position will help with coverage at the admissions desk, support educational programming, and the cataloging of the museum’s historic collection.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Greet and welcome visitors to the museum with an excellent standard of customer service.
• Share information about our current educational programs and events in person or over the phone with museum visitors and members.
• Operate the admissions/gift shop cash register, collect admissions, memberships, program, and event fees, process gift shop transactions, and process opening and closing paperwork.
• Dust, clean, and resupply restrooms when necessary.
• Support the development and execution of educational programs such as Fun at the Firehouse and Jr. Firefighters Academy Camp under the direction of the Education and Outreach Coordinator.
• Support cataloging, researching, and preserving the museum’s historic collection of 3-dimensional and 2-dimensional artifacts under the direction of the Collections Manager.
• Other duties as assigned.
• An interest and excitement for working in a museum
• Working towards or completed BA in History, Museum Studies, Historic Preservation, or similar; preferred
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Attention to detail
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Publisher, PowerPoint)
• Previous cash handling, retail, customer service, and museum experience; preferred
• Ability to work independently and cohesively with a group
• At least one year experience working with children, volunteers, and people of various abilities; preferred
How to apply: Please email your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com