EXHIBITIONS ASSISTANT (PART-TIME) – JOB POSTING – JULY 2019
ASSIST IN DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION OF CRATES, TRAVEL FRAMES, PEDESTALS, DISPLAY FURNITURE, AND MOUNTS FOR ARTWORK. ARRANGE, SCHEDULE AND UNDERTAKE ART PICKUPS AND DELIVERIES WITH MUSEUM VEHICLES. PACK, UNPACK, AND DOCUMENT PACKING OF ALL INCOMING AND OUTGOING ARTWORK. HANDLE, MOVE, STAGE AND INSTALL, DEINSTALL ARTWORK AND RELATED FURNITURE IN GALLERIES AND STORAGE AREAS. PREPARE GALLERIES FOR INSTALLATIONS.
• Assist in the design, construction, and finishing of crates, packing boxes, travel frames, exhibition pedestals, display casework, storage mounts, and related storage furniture for museum artwork.
• Assist with scheduling and arranging the pick up and delivery of artwork with the museum van or straight truck from lender and off-site storage locations. Assess appropriate packing materials and labor required for art pickups and deliveries.
• Unpack and repack all incoming and outgoing artwork, document related crate and packing materials and methods, and assist with the safe movement of artwork within the museum between storage locations, conservation, the photography lab, and galleries and to and from off-site storage locations.
• Install, deinstall, and stage artwork and related display furniture for gallery installations and maintain related inventory lists and database location updates.
• Prepare galleries for installation by doing light construction, patching and painting and related.
• Assist Collections Management department with collections rehousing, art and art furniture movement, inventories, location updates and other projects as assigned.
• Conduct condition reports on incoming and outgoing artwork or works going on and off display and undertake data entry of artwork condition, measurements, location, and related crate, packing, installation, handling, and storage information on museum’s collections database
• Order woodshop, crate, packing, exhibition, and storage-related supplies as required. Assist in maintaining supply inventory.
• Frame, unframe, and install hanging hardware on artwork as required
• Maintain cleanliness of the museum’s packing area, wood shop and related work areas
• Perform gallery maintenance and cleaning of gallery displays as required.
• Other exhibitions and collections services duties as assigned.
NON-ESSENTIAL (OTHER) DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES
• Provide art courier services
• Answer public inquiry requests relating to packing and shipping
• Other duties as assigned
May supervise on-call and contract assistants, volunteers or interns as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
• Must be able to drive van and 20’ straight truck with valid Colorado driver’s license
• Knowledge and experience of collections management and art handling best practices
• Knowledge and experience with carpentry and safe woodworking practices
• Computer skills
• Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
• Detail-oriented and organized
• Must complete tasks according to scheduled deadlines
EDUCATION OR FORMAL TRAINING
Bachelor’s degree in studio arts, art history or equivalent preferred.
Carpentry, woodworking, and painting experience required. Driver’s license and ability to operate a 20’ straight truck and van required. Prior art handling, packing, and installation experience required.
MATERIAL AND EQUIPMENT DIRECTLY USED
• Hand and power tools such as hammers, screwguns, routers, sanders, drill presses, grinders, planers, nail and staple guns, hand saws, table and miter saws, radial arm and band saws
• Art moving equipment including A-frame, furniture dolly, pallet jack, forklift
• Museum vehicles for art transports
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES
• Museum, off-site storage locations, local galleries, private residences
• Subject to many interruptions
• Must be able to lift, push, or pull up to 100 lbs.
• Standing, walking, sitting, and climbing
• Eye, hand, and foot coordination