City of Greeley Museums
Organization: City of Greeley Museums
Position: Museum Manager
Salary Range: $63,853.86 – $89,395.40 annually
Hiring Range: $63,853.86 – $76,624.63 annually
The City of Greeley Museums is a four-site museum system consisting of the Greeley History Museum, Centennial Village, the Meeker Home and the Plumb Farm Learning Center. The Museum has an extensive collection of approximately 175,000 historic artifacts, photographs and archives. The City is seeking a dynamic, innovative museum leader with a solid background in museum operations, historic preservation, living history, and collections management to bring the Museums into the future as a regional attraction with a focus on a balance between education, preservation, and cost recovery.
The Museum Manager is responsible for the development, planning and execution of a comprehensive program of educational opportunities, exhibits, and special events, historic preservation, capital improvements, and collections management projects. The Manager works with supervisor to prepare and monitor the annual budget, develop and implement programs and exhibits, and ensure public access and preservation of the collections. The Manager oversees daily operations of all museum facilities and works under the supervision of the Superintendent of Culture. This is an exempt position and the Museum Manager will be attending meetings, events, and programs on evenings and weekends.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills:
- BA Degree in Museum Studies, Anthropology or History.
- MA Degree in Museum Studies desired.
- 5+ years progressive experience working directly with museum operations.
- Must possess and demonstrate knowledge of best practices as defined by the American Alliance of Museums.
- Must have good working knowledge of museum law and its application.
- Knowledge of living history, interpretation and collections management preferred.
- Must have excellent communication skills, oral and written, and in a variety of settings, including negotiation and persuasion.
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record
- Spanish/English bilingual desired.
Essential Functions – Ability to:
- Use initiative, judgment and originality in programming, planning, merchandising and control.
- Keep abreast of current museum trends.
- Ensure the flow of information up and down the chain of command.
- Effectively supervise, direct, and measure the performance of museum staff, including conflict resolution.
- Develop, implement and evaluate programs, activities, exhibits and projects with input from patrons, community, advisory boards, staff and supervisor.
- Develop and apply data tracking methods to aid in evaluating the success of programs, activities, exhibits, and projects utilizing benchmarks, performance indicators, and established cost recovery models.
- Promote efficiency and effectiveness, using strong organizational and budgeting skills, risk management, and internal controls to accomplish management goals and objectives.
- Meet deadlines for budget and information requests.
- Listens to and addresses concerns of the public, visitors, archives patrons, Museum Advisory board, Greeley Museums Heritage Foundation and other local organizations and community groups and partners which may include solving problems, addressing complaints or resolving conflicts.
- Seek out and form community partnerships or strengthen existing partnerships.
- Ensure facilities and equipment are maintained in good working condition and operational.
- Identify and correct deficiencies in safety, sanitation, security and others.
- Promote and publicize museum activities to the public.
- Represent the Department at meeting, conferences and trainings.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements:
- Verbal skills sufficient to communicate effectively.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to talk or hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 35 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet, but will be required to work weekends and an irregular schedule.
Conditions of Employment: Candidates must successfully complete all pre-employment screenings and employment eligibility verification. Pre-employment screenings include a drug test, a background and national sex offender search, a motor vehicle record search, and for some positions, a physical demands evaluation. For more information about City policies and practices during the recruitment process, including but not limited to EOE, Reasonable Accommodation, and pre-employment screenings, please visit our career page HERE.