Cheyenne Frontier Days Old West Museum
Organization: Cheyenne Frontier Days Old West Museum
Position: Executive Director
Pay Range: $70,000 – $100,000/yr.
Cheyenne Frontier Days™ is universally regarded as the birthplace of modern rodeo and continues to be the nation’s premier outdoor rodeo and western heritage celebration. The Museum explores and shares the history of this event and the people who supported it from its inception in 1897 to the present.
Salary Range and Benefits
• $70,000 to $100,000
• Full health, dental and vision insurance.
• Individual IRA match
• Paid vacation
Executive Director – CFD Old West Museum
The Executive Director has the overall responsibility to carry out the organization’s mission and policies established by the Board, including the financial, educational, collections, and operations management of the organization. The Executive Director will supervise museum staff hired to assist in accomplishing these obligations.
• With the Board of Directors, establish a clear vision for the organization.
• Assist the Board of Directors in long-range strategic planning and implementation of those plans.
• Provide both support and leadership to the Board of Directors.
• Serve as the liaison between the Board of Directors and staff.
Financial Management & Fundraising:
• With the Finance Committee, the Executive Director will propose an annual budget for the Board’s adoption.
• Prepare monthly financial reports to the Board of Directors.
• Supervise all accounts payable and receivable.
• Support the Museum’s fundraising efforts and special events.
• Develop and sustain relationships with members and donors.
• In partnership with staff, prepare grant applications and manage grant projects.
• Establish and maintain excellent donor records and stewardship of all donations made to the organization.
Human Resources & Administration:
• Hire, train and supervise all staff and volunteers including scheduling and annual work goals.
• Develop and improve the visitor experience before and during their visit.
• Evaluate staff (other than the Executive Director); set performance standards; create annual goals; conduct annual staff evaluations; maintain personnel records.
• Represent CFD OWM and advocate its mission to external stakeholders and audiences including community organizations, schools, government at all levels, and the museum and nonprofit communities.
• Maintain positive relationships with the City of Cheyenne, CFD Inc., and community partners such as the Cheyenne Chamber of Commerce and Visit Cheyenne.
• Establish and implement a marketing/communications plan that supports the CFD OWM brand and reputation including website content, social media accounts, media relations, and printed materials.
• Work with CFD Inc. for the continuing maintenance and repair of the museum building.
• Maintain museum calendar and coordinate all programming and events with museum staff.
Board & Volunteer Relations:
• Involve board members in decisions that affect the future of CFD OWM.
• Assist the Board with identifying community members who may be appropriate for board service and support their recruitment and orientation to the organization.
• Recruit volunteers for appropriate positions within the organization.
• Participate in Board meetings by working with the Executive Committee to create agendas, prepare staff reports for the meetings, and attend meetings of the Board and committees.
Exhibitions, Collections, and Education:
• Establish and maintain standards of excellence for all collections, exhibitions, and education efforts of the museum.
• Oversee the proper care of the collections.
• Oversee exhibitions to support the mission of the organization to attract audiences, donors and sponsors.
• Oversee educational programming.