Buffalo Bill Center of the West Title: Curatorial Assistant Department: Curatorial Position Reports to: Curator, Whitney Western Art Museum Status: Non-Exempt / Full-Time
Pay Range: $32,240 to $35,922 + Great Benefit Package
Supports the collections, educational and outreach activities and programs connected to the strategic plans of the Whitney Western Art Museum (WWAM) and the Buffalo Bill Center of the West.
• Manage or assist in managing the Center’s WWAM collections, including acquisitions, deaccessions, and loans; update collection databases; participate in management and care for collections on exhibition and in vault storage.
• As an enthusiastic team member, collaborate with staff, advisors, volunteers, interns, teachers and students and community members.
• Develop exhibition and program content with Curatorial and Interpretive Education staff members for the WWAM.
• Assist with planning, fabrication and maintenance of exhibitions.
• Respond to internal and external research requests and general public inquiry.
• Develop and share content through creative, original research utilizing a wide range of diverse outlets, including social media and public speaking.
• Develop and facilitate outreach and revenue generating programming.
• Work collaboratively with Development staff to identify and research donors; assist in writing grants and fundraising activities to seek support for the Center’s programs.
• Assist Curator in preparing and monitoring annual budgets.
• Supervise volunteers, interns and temporary or contract staff.
• Comply with Center Policies & Procedures, as well as with current professional standards.
• Ability to develop and maintain professional relationships with diverse communities and audiences.
• Proficiency in collections object handling and management.
• Strong organizational, administrative and time management skills.
• Discretion and good judgement.
• Excellent written and oral communication and research skills.
• Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite or related software with basic knowledge of collections databases.
• Interns and volunteers.
Required Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in related content area, museum studies or museum education field.
• 2 years’ experience in a museum, gallery or related cultural organization with curatorial or collections emphasis.
• Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
• Buffalo Bill Center of the West provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, or service in the military. Equal employment opportunity applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation, and training.