Buffalo Bill Center of the West
Organization: Buffalo Bill Center of the West
Position: Assistant Registrar
Pay Range: $36,000 – $40,000
Please send Cover Letter and Resume to email@example.com for consideration.
Date: October 2022
Title: Assistant Registrar
Position Reports To: Registrar
Status: Non-Exempt / Full-Time
Salary: $36,000 – $40,000
Summary: The Assistant Registrar assists with the care and maintenance of the Center’s permanent collection objects, objects on loan to the Center, and objects taken in on temporary custody. Under the direction of the Registrar, the Assistant Registrar performs registration functions related to the above, following current and best museum practices in support of the Center’s Collection Management Policy and Mission.
• Maintain an integrated pest management program.
• Manage the Center’s annual art show and sale, including receiving, unpacking, and tracking objects, in conjunction with the Cody Chamber of Commerce.
• Assist with processing and cataloging new acquisitions, including assigning and affixing numbers, cataloging, condition reporting.
• Assist with loan and traveling exhibit logistics under the direction of the Registrar, including condition reports, packing and shipping arrangements, managing object checklists.
• Assist with the creation and management of collections records and documentation, both physical and digital
• Process incoming loans: photograph and condition objects, enter data into database, alert Conservator of any condition concerns/issues.
• Supervise and work as team lead for unpacking, and re-packing of objects.
• Moves objects to and from storage as required, utilizing the highest standards of art handling procedures.
• Assist with annual inventories of Permanent Collection and loans in conjunction with curators and other Registration staff members.
• Coordinate project-specific collections data entry and data cleanup projects in the Center’s collections management database, currently Argus. Provide data entry assistance to Center staff.
• Understand and help enforce the Center’s Collection Management Policy and Procedures.
• Complete special projects and basic research.
• Occasionally act as courier to accompany exhibitions and loans.
• Propose new and innovative storage solutions for objects stored in vaults, and design and produce appropriate mounts for stored objects.
• General administrative duties: filing, copying, running errands, general data entry.
• Keep appraised of approved and current registrarial and collection management standards and basic conservation guidelines for the care and handling of museum objects.
• Experience working in a registration or collections management position.
• Experience using complex collections database applications, Argus preferred.
• Demonstrated knowledge of principles and procedures of registration and collection management.
• Understanding of proper documentation for acquisitions and loans.
• Excellent organizational, writing, proofreading, and analytical skills, with close attention to detail.
• Excellent communication skills and ability to work in a team environment.
• Ability to travel domestically and internationally.
• Ability to reach, bend, stoop, and occasionally lift up to 50 pounds.
• Interns and volunteers
Required Education and Experience:
• A Master’s degree in museum studies or a related field is preferred. A Bachelor’s degree from accredited college or university, with coursework in museum studies, art, art history, history, or related field, is required.
• A minimum of two years museum registration or collections management experience is required.
• Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
• Buffalo Bill Center of the West provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, or service in the military. Equal employment opportunity applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation, and training.