Berthoud Historical Society
Museums Manager and Curator
Organization: Berthoud Historical Society
Position: Museums Manager and Curator
Museum Services Administrator
Pay Range: $20 – $22 per hour
JOB DESCRIPTION: Museum Manager and Curator
POSITION: Berthoud Historical Society Museums Manager and Curator
HOURS: 28 hours (part-time); Wednesday-Saturday with flexibility to provide programming outside regular museum opening schedule.
SUMMARY: The Berthoud Historical Society is seeking a part-time museum manager and curator to manage and oversee the day-to-day operations of the Little Thompson Valley Pioneer and McCarty-Fickel Home museums. This position will be responsible for the operations, collections management, exhibit design and development, and programming. The position reports to the Berthoud Historical Society’s Board of Directors and President. The position is an integral part of the Board’s community outreach efforts and promoting the Berthoud Historical Society.
The Manager is expected to attend Berthoud Historical Society (BHS) board meetings.
The position offers the opportunity to gain managerial experience with overseeing interns and volunteers and the opportunity to gain experience in community engagement and outreach, and grant writing.
SALARY: $20.00 – $22.00 per hour
• Closure of museum – 25th December to 1st January (paid time off)
• Opportunity for hybrid schedule during winter
POSITION LOCATION: Berthoud, Colorado. Berthoud is a growing community with a rich heritage dating back to the 1860s, and retains much of its historical character. The town is located in northern Colorado with easy access to I-25 and Rocky Mountain National Park. Berthoud is located some 30 miles south of Fort Collins, Colorado. To learn more about the town of Berthoud, visit: https://www.berthoud.org/residents
• Ensure the museum is open during established business hours
• Able to share correct knowledge and history of the local area, the museum, and its exhibits
• Responsible for basic site maintenance, such as sweeping and shoveling snow to maintain a welcoming and safe environment
• Responsible for operation of point of sale and reporting to finance director
• Complete monthly report of activities for the Board of Directors
• Records museum attendance
• Promotes the museum and programs via social media and email
• Knowledge of accepted museum policies and practices regarding handling and storage of artifacts and archival records
• Museum registration, including accessioning and deaccessioning
• Knowledge of Past Perfect web edition database
• Conducts research to support programs, projects, and marketing efforts
• Develop new exhibits in collaboration with the Board of Directors, staff, and other partners as appropriate
• Design, install and uninstall exhibits
Educational Programs and Events
• Responsible for hosting field trips, presentations, and other community engagement programming
• Assist with Historical Society events, such as the summer concert series and other fund-raising events
The Manager must:
• have at least two years’ experience in collections management, and database management, preferably, PastPerfect
• be able to perform administrative, organizational, and budgetary tasks related to the operation of the museums
• possess excellent verbal and written communication skills, analytical abilities, organizational skills
• demonstrate proficiency of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, and social media (Facebook and Instagram)
• be able to work independently and manage multiple assignments while completing daily tasks
• have experience in educational program development and presentation
• possess a valid Colorado driver’s license or the ability to attain one within three months of employment, and have reliable transportation to move between the two museums and storage areas.
• The position requires a Masters’ Degree in Museum Studies or American History with course work in collections management or archives management
The position requires at least two years’ continual experience working in a museum setting.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT: Work is generally performed in a museum environment, including sitting/standing at a desk, and collection storage area housed in the basement of the McCarty-Fickel Home museum. There will be occasional outside work during events and museum tours.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: This is a 28-hour per week position. The position has the standard physical demands of a museum environment. These demands include sitting, standing, walking, and climbing stairs or ladders, and prolonged talking during the delivery of programs and training of new volunteers. Light and heavy lifting of boxes as well as moving large artifacts are part of the daily work day.
HOW TO APPLY: Please submit resumés to: firstname.lastname@example.org before the 1st July 2023. To learn more about the Historical Society visit: https://www.berthoudhistoricalsociety.org