Reports To: Director of Galleries
Department: Galleries FLSA Status: Full-Time Exempt
Responsible for planning, coordinating and record-keeping of exhibitions for the Arvada Center Galleries. Manages annual Fine Art Market and acts as Registrar of exhibitions at the Arvada Center.
JOB KNOWLEDGE – Essential Functions, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Assists with the overall planning and management of the Arvada Center’s gallery schedule of exhibitions and related programs.
• Research and curate potential exhibitions as requested. Works directly with artists, dealers, collectors, agents and museum professionals for the use of artwork in planned exhibitions and works directly with exhibiting artists before, during, and after exhibitions as needed.
• Leads installation and de-installation team on behalf of Curator. Duties may include hands-on preparation of exhibition areas such as painting and repair of temporary walls, installation and adjustment of lighting, and other related activities.
• Researches and prepares written text related to exhibitions for publications, collateral, and web content.
• Assists in the planning and arrangements for events such as opening receptions, symposiums, lectures, etc.
• Exhibits knowledge of contemporary art, art history, and museum issues.
• Helps prepare educational supplements as well as educates volunteers on exhibition basics and provides in-depth information for specific tours and events.
• Tracks artwork sales and coordinates with artist and purchaser for pickup and delivery.
• Manages audio tour and extra content programs for exhibitions.
• Prepares loan agreements and all relevant documents for incoming exhibition artwork.
• Supervises and coordinates the transportation, unpacking, re-packing, and safe return of art work.
• Inspects all arriving and returning art work and prepares Condition Reports. Collects and maintains insurance values for all exhibited artwork. Negotiates with artists if any loss or damage occurs.
Fine Art Market Management
• Manages and leads all aspects of annual Fine Art Market.
• Oversees staffing, sales, records and inventory during Market.
• Researches and contacts potential artists and maintains communication with returning artists.
• Manages Art Market application and jury process as well as artist drop-off and pick-up scheduling.
• Works with Finance team members to reconcile and track all sales and artist payments.
• Bachelor’s degree in art, art history, and/or museum studies or related field with Master’s degree preferred. Equivalent combination of experience and/or education is acceptable.
• Minimum two (2) years of experience in a museum/arts institution/arts field.
• Nonprofit experience preferred.
• Demonstrates a commitment to the Arvada Center’s initiative IDEA – Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Access.
• A demonstrated commitment to the Arvada Center’s mission and a love for the arts.
• Awareness of current trends and artists in Colorado beneficial.
• Commitment to excellence, unimpeachable ethical standards and personal integrity.
• Ability to manage multiple projects and programs at the same time.
• Acute attention to detail.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Good interpersonal skills, comfortable engaging with patrons, artists, volunteers, gallery owners, museum professionals and the arts community in general.
• Ability to work independently and with good time management skills.
• Passion, enthusiasm, focus, creativity, and a positive outlook.
• Work is performed primarily in an office environment.
• Occasional strenuous physical work is required.
• Lifting, pulling, or pushing of objects up to 100 pounds occasionally, up to 50 pounds frequently.
• Significant physical activity for installation, maintenance, and de-installation of exhibitions including use of ladders and hand tools.
• Coordinate multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Frequent verbal contact with others.
• Rapid work pace, with frequent deadlines. At times job demands long hours to achieve exhibition goals.
• Preferred ability to drive a small box truck or a willingness to learn.
• Other duties or projects as assigned.
• This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.
Scope of Authority
Receives general supervision under the direction of the Director of Galleries, Curator. Prepares and/or develops plans for projects and programs involving coordination with other departments and/or outside organizations. Some precedents and procedures exist. Expected to handle different and specialized functions.
Makes recommendations to supervisor for budget allocations pertaining to Galleries. Makes and approves expenditures up to a certain amount. Assists Director of Galleries in the tracking and development of annual and project budgets.
Indirectly supervises Gallery staff assistants, including training, planning, and directing work. Directly oversees Department volunteers and interns.
Material and Equipment Directly Used:
Requires use of standard office and computer equipment including Office Suite and Adobe. Requires use of standard gallery equipment and materials including various hand and power tools, audio/visual equipment, etc.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
This is a full-time, benefits-eligible, exempt position at the Arvada Center for the Arts and Humanities located at 6901 Wadsworth Boulevard in Arvada, Colorado.
The Arvada Center for the Arts and Humanities is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity in any term, condition or privilege of employment. We do not discriminate against applicants or employees on the basis of age, race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, disability or any other status protected by state or local law. Candidates from traditionally marginalized communities are especially encouraged to apply.
This position pays $45,000 – $50,000, depending on experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email your resume and a letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use “Exhibition Manager” as the subject line of your email. No phone calls will be accepted. Resumes submitted without a cover letter will not be considered. Your cover letter should give us a feel for your personality and express your desire to work at the Arvada Center.
Note: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.