American Museum of Western Art
Program & Education Specialist
Organization: American Museum of Western Art
Position: Program & Education Specialist
Pay Range: $40,000 to $48,000 commensurate with experience
Program & Education Specialist Job Description
The Program & Education Specialist represents the American Museum of Western Art (AMWA) and is responsible for all aspects of the Museum’s education and programming activities and assists with docent activities. This position reports to the Director & Curator.
The American Museum of Western Art is the permanent home of the Anschutz Collection. Over 300 paintings, by more than 180 artists, are displayed salon style, inside the historic Navarre Building, located in downtown Denver. Guests enjoy a variety of Western American art styles, as well as an appreciation for the history and beauty of the American West. The museum offers guided tours, as well as a variety of educational and adult programs.
• Research, develop, implement, and facilitate adult programs, special presentations, musical events, and themed tours.
o Coordinate with other staff and volunteers in development and facilitation of programs.
• Research, develop, oversee, and facilitate art interpretation initiatives.
• Work with Visitor Experience Specialist to develop docent-centered and docent led programs.
• Develop and lead programs for various groups of people with disabilities.
• Train fellow staff and stakeholders on programs.
• Build art education presentations for various existing AMWA programs.
• Schedule School Group visits and outreach, Group Tours, and Onsite Outreach/low-sensory groups.
• Coordinate with other staff in development and facilitation of tours.
• Pursue and partner with related organizations for educational resources and school/teacher workshops.
• Draft and approve content for school group tours.
• Develop school tour education program and foster continuing growth in student visits.
• Customize lesson plans in conjunction with teachers from second grade through university levels.
• Plan and lead on-site lessons and activities for various grade levels.
• Create and maintain online resources for teachers including lesson plans, activity ideas, and a historic timeline to give context to the museum collection.
• Train docents on highlight tours as well as low-sensory and school group tours.
• Train docents on proper research and citation methods for docent led programs.
• Develop, revise, and maintain docent training materials in line with other AMWA resources.
• Oversee AMWA meeting rooms and schedule meetings accordingly.
• Front desk coverage (average 5 hours per week).
o Greet guests upon arrival in a friendly and welcoming manner.
o Sell tickets and museum shop merchandise.
o Offer audio guides and gallery guides to guests. Answer questions as needed.
o Go over rules with guests and direct to the gallery.
o Maintain a clean and organized lobby and museum shop space.
• Lead Guided Tours if docent is not available.
• Answer phone, assist with purchasing tickets and answer inquiries over phone.
• Answer Zendesk inquiries regarding programming and education.
• Represent AMWA at off-site community events and outreach partner locations.
• In collaboration with other AMWA Staff, work with security, Facility and Operations Manager, and approved vendors in preparation for events. Schedule AMWA staff/docents when tour or overview is needed.
• In collaboration with other AMWA Staff and the Facility and Operations Manager, oversee set-up and take-down activities for internal and external events.
• Represent museum at community events and conferences.
• Conference and symposia attendance and/or presentation; notifies staff of upcoming opportunities and submits presentation proposals.
• Other duties as assigned.
• 4-year degree in Art History, Education, or related field; or any equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
• Minimum of 1 to 3 years’ experience in education and/or administering museum programming.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively work with public and/or stakeholders.
• Proven computer skills including proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
• Excellent organization skills, written and oral communication skills, and ability to pivot and prioritize tasks in a fast-paced and changing environment.
• Able to work in a team environment but also independently with limited supervision.
• Demonstrated organizational skills and detail-oriented.
Salary Range 40,000- 48,000
• This is a non-exempt, salaried position. The salary range is $40,000 to $48,000 commensurate with experience and includes our standard benefits package, including a medical plan, dental plan, basic term life insurance, short term disability, 401k retirement, holiday pay, and vacation pay.
• Please submit your interest to: email@example.com
• Applications will be accepted until position is filled but priority will be given to those received by Thursday, February 15, 2024