MCA DENVER Visitor Services Staff – Gallery Attendant Job Description
Job Title: Gallery Attendant – Seasonal
Reports To: Visitor Services Manager
The Museum of Contemporary Art Denver is looking for Gallery Attendants to provide exceptional customer service as they engage with MCA visitors throughout the galleries. Under the supervision of the Visitor Services Manager, Gallery Attendants will help MCA guests navigate through the museum, communicating museum policies and offering interpretive assistance. Gallery Attendants will provide the support that many first time and infrequent visitors seek in order to have an enjoyable museum experience.
Candidates should have excellent interpersonal and customer service skills with a knowledge or interest in contemporary art and culture. Gallery attendants receive training with museum staff, and gain experience toward potential museum and gallery careers. This position consists of 8 to 12 hours per week, including weekends/evenings. This position will start immediately and run until August, with potential for permanent employment.
• Excellent hospitality, interpersonal and communication skills
• Previous customer service experience alongside the ability to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds and with disabilities is mandatory
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Ability to keep focused to follow instructions
• Ability to handle both slow and high volume periods
• Experience working in a customer service environment a plus
• Multilingualism a plus
• Must have flexible availability and weekday availability
Gallery Attendant Responsibilities
• Provide a visible Visitor Service presence in the museum galleries
• Create a friendly and welcoming environment
• Stand and remain alert while visitors are in gallery area
• Constantly monitor visitor service needs in assigned areas
• Be proactive in answering visitors’ questions, such as the location of amenities (restrooms, etc.), the location of art objects, or information about the Museum’s hours
• Resolve visitors’ complaints on the spot in a way that is consistent with the MCA’s approach to customer service
• Become knowledgeable about the artists and exhibition on view
• Offer informative dialogue regarding the artwork in current exhibitions
• Expected to attend ongoing training/enrichment classes pertaining to customer service, museum operations, and art interpretation
Classification: Part-Time 8-12 hours a week, including special event work.
Compensation: Starting rate of $10/hr.
Please send resume, cover letter and availability to firstname.lastname@example.org