Kirkland Museum Temporary Position
Collections Move Assistant and Art Handler
Schedule: September – December 2017 for approximately 15 weeks (2 positions)
Monday – Friday, 9-5:30; 40 hours/week
Kirkland Museum is preparing to relocate to a new location at 1201 Bannock Street and will move and install the collection in advance of opening the museum to the public. Two (2) Art Handlers will help prepare, pack and ship a wide variety of 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional artworks from on-site and off-site storage locations. At Bannock Street they will help receive, unpack and install artworks in the museum’s galleries, with additional assignments as required.
The Art Handlers provide support to the Collections Department in the handling, care, documentation and packing/unpacking of the museum’s collection. There is a degree of physical strength required to move furniture and artwork; applicant must be able to lift up to 50 lbs., climb ladders to install pieces on high shelves and be prepared to be on their feet for eight hours each day.
• Wrapping and packing decorative arts objects and paintings for shipping,
including some pieces that may require custom mounts
• Moving, unpacking and installing paintings, furniture and 2D art objects
• Minor cleaning and rewiring of paintings
• Working with the collections database, Artsystems Pro
• Additional assignments as required
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
• Must be able to take direction and work independently and as part of a team
• Some prior experience with object handling and a museum database
• Prior installation experience preferred
• Art History and/or Museum Studies background preferred
All Art Handlers will be required to complete a half-day training at the museum on September 1st covering art safety and handling policies. Additional position-specific training will be provided by Collections Department staff as needed throughout the project. Work will take place at 1311 Pearl Street and 1201 Bannock Street in Denver. Salary is $18 per hour.
Please send a cover letter detailing your qualifications and interest in the
position and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 21, 2017.
Interviews will take place the week of July 31, 2017.
We are a drug-free workplace. Hiring is contingent upon a pre-employment drug screen and background check. Equal Opportunity Employer.