Informal Learning Experiences (ILE) is seeking a part time (60%) Associate.
ILE is a small consulting firm that works with museums, zoos, aquariums, public agencies, funding agencies and national education and professional associations and societies. We consult on the planning, development, and expansion of institutions; on the development of educational and recreational activities; and on strategies and funding for the implementation of programs and exhibitions. We produce three resources for the field—a searchable online database of traveling exhibitions, the Traveling Exhibitions Forum (an event) at the annual AAM and ASTC conferences, and a bimonthly 24-page journal, The Informal Learning Review. We have a substantial national and growing international clientele.
The Associate works closely with the primary consultant on virtually every aspect of our various services to the informal learning community. Thus, while there is an employer-employee relationship, the firm functions on a collegial basis and requires considerable autonomy and independent initiative from the Associate.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Informal Learning Review (ILR)
• Process subscription requests and renewals daily (QuickBooks Pro)
• Prepare and mail bulk mailings of ILR
• Prepare and mail bimonthly renewal invoices (QuickBooks Pro)
• Communicate and coordinate with authors regarding their article submissions
• Copyedit and prepare images for ILR
• Communicate and coordinate with graphic designer
• Opportunity to publish appropriate articles in ILR
Traveling Exhibitions Database (TED)
• Process subscription requests, invoices, and renewals daily (QuickBooks Pro)
• Monitor and update exhibition listings and subscribers on the web site
• Notify listers of expired exhibits that they need to be updated and renewed
Traveling Exhibitions Forum
• Plan the Traveling Exhibitions Forum twice a year. This involves getting approval from AAM and ASTC conference organizers, arranging for food and beverage service, soliciting sponsors, sending out a call for speakers using ILE’s Forum email list, and compiling the list of speakers.
• Attend the American Alliance of Museums (AAM) and Association of Science-Technology Centers (ASTC) annual conferences to ensure the event goes as planned and to network with exhibition producers and venues
• Maintain subscriber contact and subscription information (QuickBooks Pro, MS Exel)
• Conduct online marketing for ILR and TED
• Ensure immediate and complete client satisfaction
• Answer office phone and respond to email messages
• Maintain/reorder office supplies
• Monitor and edit new Web site
• Maintain internal LAN, track software and hardware needs and opportunities
• Maintain professional manner when communicating with clients
• Minor tech support and computer as necessary (Windows XP, 3 desktops, 1 laptop, printers, etc.)
• Work with IT consultants for larger computer issues
• Conduct project-related research
• Meet with clients at their sites (if local) or communicate by phone/email
• Arrange client meetings and prepare related presentation materials
• Assist with proposal and report preparation, including editing, formatting and production
Qualifications and Requirements
• Strong organizational skills
• Ability to work independently & without direct supervision
• Excellent writing and speaking skills
• Well-developed computer and IT skills, including troubleshooting for web site, communication, and database management programs
• Dedication to the museum profession, informal learning organizations and agencies, and not-for-profit organizations
• Excellent telephone personality
• Sense of humor
ILE is based in a home office in the residential neighborhood of Park Hill, Denver. It includes a separate entrance, full kitchen access, and free unrestricted on-street parking. The Associate must have his/her own transportation and be able to run occasional work-related errands during the day.
The working pattern is a 24-hour week, between 9 and 5, M through F, with major holidays closed. The Associate works in the ILE office 100% of the time, except during business-related travel. Travel expenses are reimbursed. ILE offers a competitive hourly salary without benefits.
An introductory letter; resume; summary of relevant experience; and names, affiliations, and contact information for three personal and/or professional references should be sent to Dr. Robert M. West, President, Informal Learning Experiences at email@example.com.
The position is available immediately and is open until filled.